BNR-100. Important places in Miensk. Rada (Council) of the Belarusian Democratic Republic


, bnr.krokam.com

The Rada (Council) of the Belarusian Democratic Republic worked here in July and August in 1918.

At the beginning of the 20th century, on the site of the House of Officers there was a complex of buildings of the Bishop's Compound. It was a complex with a large St. Pokrovsky orthodox church, administrative and utility rooms. It is here in the summer of 1918 the estate of the Rada (Council) of the Belarusian Democratic Republic was. The Rada of the Belarusian Democratic Republic is, if it is possible to say so, the parliament of the small Republic, which was formed in December 1917 by the decisions of the First All-Belarusian Congress. Apart from the delegates to the All-Belarusian Congress, the Rada of BPR included representatives of city councils, country councils and other self-government bodies, as well as refugee and other Belarusian organizations. 

The building now looks the same as at the tame the proclamation of the BDR. It was built in 1912 in the pseudo-Russian style as the building of the Minsk Church and Archaeological Museum. Since the museum was built on the occasion of the centenary of the Romanov dynasty, it was called «Jubiliejny». The image of this Jubiliejny House was painted on postage stamps of the BDR.